Hip To My Heart

Brotherman, you know how to get hip to my heart

Dino got the day off again today, mostly because there's freezing rain falling from the sky, and partially because his right hind leg has been a little puffy and warm the past couple days. He isn't lame on it, and it's not even visibly swollen, his splint bone is just not as easily felt as it is on the left leg. I poulticed, wrapped, and buted him last night and the leg was tighter and colder this morning, but still not identical to the left. I did find a couple small stone bruises on his sole on the side where the swelling is on his leg, so he's probably just reacting to that. I'm probably just being a psycho and he's probably fine.

Probably.

In any case, after doing the barn this morning I went to just hang out with D in his field. I had a couple peanuts in my pocket, so of course he got a snack. After the treats were gone, I expected him to wander back off to his hay pile, but instead we had one of those awesome horse/human bonding moments that remind me of what a special relationship we have.

Dino hung out for a while to be absolutely sure there were no more peanuts, and gave my gloves a thorough licking in case there was any peanut flavor still lingering on them. I scratched his neck, and he wiggled his nose in my face. My pony snuggled close, and breathed softly to me when I kissed his nose. When the other horses came to see what was going on, his ears whipped back and he chased them away from His Person, coming back to me with a happy expression, ready for more cuddle time. And, quite possibly the best part, when Dino walked off to have a bite of hay, I called his name and he came right back to me for another hug.

I love my pony, and my pony loves me.

Comments

  1. Thank you, ladies! He is still puffy today, but I threw him in the round pen and of course he is totally sound and sassy. At least the weather is too bad to ride, anyway!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts