Peaceful Golden Days of Autumn

I mean the view is just OKAY..
With show season very officially behind us for the year and other obligations cutting down on riding time a bit, I've just been enjoying riding Dino without any immediate goals in mind. It's nice to just spend time with my buddy. This week, that included "just putzing around" bareback in our western bridle as I recovered from a cold. I wasn't physically up to a very demanding ride, so decided to quiet things down a bit and have a nice bareback ride instead. Riding bareback is always such a good opportunity to hone my body awareness and really focus on how I am allowing or inhibiting Dino to work underneath me.




And wouldn't you know it, that ride resulted in some of the softest, most relaxed, most through walk and trot work we've had in a LONG time!


While of course there's always a lot to improve on, I LOVE how you can see how soft Dino is through his back in the video, and the swing that goes all the way through his tail! He's super quiet in the bridle with a nice open throatlatch, lifting UP UP UP through his withers and the base of his neck, and I'm obsessed with how nice and consistent his rhythm is throughout most of the video.

And then there's the perfectly square halt at the end, which we very rarely achieve!

plz to have all the time kthx
While I'm definitely incredibly pleased with the ride overall, I'm also a bit frustrated that I can't get this kind of relaxation in our normal set-up!  I foresee some experimentation in our future.


Comments

  1. Love everything about this. You both look so HAPPY! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. it sounds like a fun ride. I love this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, wish I could get the relaxation I achieve from "lazy" rides in all of my rides. When I'm relaxed and not feeling pressure of a goal, my Horses always work better. I wish ibwould harness that headspace all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. meh, who needs a saddle! Just throw it away lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, Riley loved being warmed up in sitting trot which was so strange. I wonder if Dino likes the feeling of you sitting deep with your leg long? Maybe try warming him up sans stirrups? You guys look awesome

    ReplyDelete
  6. That bareback dressagin looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it funny how the less we stress about things, the more they come together?
    Looks like a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts