Seeing Eye To Eye

Gazing into the soul of my best buddy...
Today I went to the barn, ready to ride, and upon my arrival unexpectedly ran into our good friend Dr. Liz.

Dr. Liz had just given 2nd-round Potomac Fever vaccines.

This meant I couldn't ride. Since the horses' immune systems were already stressed from the vaccines, strenuous activity could make for a bad reaction. So, no riding.

I took the opportunity to brush up on Dino's groundwork skills, since I've been, admittedly, slacking a bit in that department. A few little reminders had him walking, halting, and trotting nicely in hand, but when it came to backing, we had problems.

Big problems.

Apparently all the clicker-training I did didn't stick too well, because all I got out of Dino were a few half-hearted "if I have to" shuffles backwards, and only after leaning on the lead rope with my entire body weight and shoving my elbow into his chest repeatedly.

We had a discussion.

Me: Dino, back up.
Dino: Eh. I don't feel like it right now.
Me: BACK. UP.
Dino: I'd rather eat grass, thanks.
Me: BACK. THAT. LITTLE. PONY. BUTT. UP.
Dino: Two shuffly steps good? Good. I'm going to eat grass now.
Me: Oh you are in SUCH BIG TROUBLE, MISTER!
Dino: Pshhhhh you can't make me do anything! You're not my REAL mom!
Me: Wanna bet?

*scuffling, yelling, slapping, kicking mayhem*

Me: Dino, back up.
Dino: Yes'm. Sorry about before, ma'am. Won't happen again ma'am.
Me: That's more like it.

I can say with confidence that we now see eye to eye on the issue.



Comments

  1. I haven't done a whole lot of ground work with my mare, just basics that I need to use day to day. Backing up was integral though, as I always groom and tack her up in her stall, and rarely tie her. If I leave to grab something, of course Miss Curiosity needs to come forward to peak out of her stall.

    She's smart though, I just have to come over and say "back" and she backs up back into her stall. Good girl :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts