In which Alli makes multiple major life changes simultaneously, and Dino is bad.

Well hello there!

It's been a while. I'm sorry. It's been busy! Making lots of major life changes. You know, moving to a different state, getting a new job, and getting married. No big deal. Actually, it's a huge, massive deal, and I've kindofsortof dropped off the face of the interwebs over the past few weeks.

In short, being married is awesome, I love my new place, and I don't dread going to work every morning. I have an incredibly challenging and interesting job at a vet clinic nearby, and Dino is now only a short 15 minute drive away instead of nearly an hour. I get to see my best friend every day, and my last name is now absurdly long. Life is good!

Dino, as usual, has been fervently plotting ways to make my life more exciting (stressful?). He has recently been escaping (AGAIN!?) with new turn-out buddy Logan, and also figured out a way to BREAK his grazing muzzle (which he reviles with the firey, furious heat of a thousand suns), and it is now hanging on to his halter by baling twine. I may be the only horse owner in the world who just wants the grass to DIE ALREADY.

Health-wise, he has been doing ok. While Dino's been thriving on his new diet(cough*chubster*cough), his PSSM still seems to flare up now and again. He had a tying-up episode a couple weeks ago, and right now I'm just taking his soundness day by day. If he feels good and he can engage his back end, we walk and trot around a little. If he feels crappy, he gets time off. At this point I don't have the resources to do any more diagnostics or treatments (in case Dr. Liz should find something ELSE wrong with him!), so we're just playing it by ear. I'm letting Dino tell me how much work he wants to do.

I'm trying to be satisfied with the fact that he is not going to be the pony I campaign in the jumpers, and he might not even be able to trail ride consistently if he won't stay completely sound. The important thing is that Dino is as comfortable as I can make him. He's my "heart horse" as some people call it... and his main job is to be my furry best friend, not to be my superstar sport pony. Down the road I'm sure he'll get a little brother or sister who will fill that role! Then we'll have pony'tude times two... oh what fun!

Comments

Popular Posts