The Positive Feedback Loop of Strength & Confidence

y'all. THAT USE OF THE BASE OF HIS NECK! swoon.
Like many of us, I'm sure, I have committed and re-committed to working out several times a week in an effort to improve my overall strength and give myself a leg-up in my riding. I may stick with a workout program for a few months at a time, but sitting on the couch browsing the internet or reading a book always seems to end up looking like a much more attractive activity than going for a run or lifting weights.

But despite my less-than-successful track record when it comes to actively working to improve my physical fitness out of the saddle, this past month I've made the effort to get back on the wagon when it comes to non-riding exercise. I've been trying to go for a 2+ mile run at least a couple days a week (and committed to running a 5K, eep!), in addition to starting to do some weight lifting. I don't always work out as often as I should, but I'm trying to make better choices in how I use that spare 30 minutes that I may find in my day!

I've also been trying to say YES to every opportunity I get to ride Sully or Chance in addition to Dino, because riding twice as many horses as normal on any given day is always a good thing, especially those two. They're both very much challenging, full-body rides!



I'm pleased to report that while I may not be sporting 6-pack abs (let's be real, I love beer and bread too much for that), I am feeling stronger, and it's helping my confidence!

I noticed during my last lesson that I was feeling a lot more secure than usual through the grid, and felt tight as a tick even through some less-than-ideal distances coupled with Dino's signature back-cracking jump. Even when he bucked, I never felt unseated. During my subsequent schooling rides, I continued to feel that same strength and security, never doubting that I would be able to sit a buck or a big effort over a fence - the very uncomfortable feeling of losing my body control or balance was never a thought. When I rode Chance, who is an immense physical challenge for me, I was able to sit his trot effectively, ride the canter without being pulled out of the saddle, and didn't feel like I was being thrown around like a rag doll by his big movement and very strong feel in the contact.

It felt REALLY good.

And when I schooled Dino over our at-home cross country jumps and he got a little strong and took a flyer, my newfound strength gave me the confidence that I could ride it out and get him over no matter what. Feeling strong helped me feel scrappy and brave, and for a self-proclaimed anxious eventer, that is HUGE.

I may not love working out, but boy do I love the results.

Comments

  1. This is so motivating for me! I really need to be better about using the minute bits of free time to actually exercise instead of plopping down on the couch with Netflix. Although I want to do it without the running please. I hate running.... haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg yes - NOTHING helps my confidence more than feeling like a strong rider, feeling like i can hold my position through whatever shenanigans might come my way. so awesome that you're feeling that now - and even better that you're getting to play around so much with the other horses too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i feel this so hard. when i did the half and realized i just... never got tired during my lessons. no matter what happened i was able to stay centered and strong. it really helped a lot!

    of course i got lazy and decided working out was TOO HARD but. you know. i tried.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's definitely been an interesting process for me--I lost all my fitness with car accident recovery and coming back to normal is slow and painful. However, having a baseline fitness of zero means that 'm so much more aware of every step and every muscle. I hope to be a stronger, smarter rider next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ALLL True. All of it. I wish I could keep the motivation too. It's totally worth it. Glad you're feeling strong and confident!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Running makes me feel noticeably stronger, too. Just more secure in my position in general. Plus I'm not wheezing near as badly by the end of XC. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've noticed a BIG difference in my riding from 1) riding more and 2) working out regularly. Honestly, those are the two best things I ever did to get better in the saddle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have NOT been appreciating being unable to work out due to knee. Getting fit for riding is a pain in the ass, but it really is worth it!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts