What Made The Difference


So far, my 2017 show season has been vastly different from 2016 in a very, very good way. In fact, I've already even knocked a couple goals off my list for the year!

Thanks to my trainer's insistence that, yes, we DID need to jump the Vey Scary BN House during our recent XC lesson, I can proudly say that we are schooling max-height BN cross country fences once again. It was terrifying, but we did it, and we're gonna do it some more! And after our successful run at Fair Hill last weekend, I have renewed confidence in Dino's and my combined ability in cross country.

We also achieved a sub-30 dressage score at our second show of the season, checking off yet another goal, and brought that number down even more at Fair Hill with our personal all-time best score of 26.8!


So, what's made the difference and transformed Team PONY'TUDE from zero to hero in 2017? I think the answer has several facets.

Weekly Jumping Lessons were a standard part of my schedule all through the fall, winter, and spring, and I attribute the lion's share of our success to this practice. Not only did I not take the several-months break from jumping that I normally do over the winter, I also took full advantage of my trainer's thoughtful, confidence-building guidance and instruction. During a time when a lot of things about jumping scared and frustrated me, it was so important to have that support on a regular basis. I don't think that Dino and I would be doing as well as we are this year without consistent lessons.

Foxhunting helped give me courage in a way nothing else could have. For a control freak and self-defined mental basketcase, hunting provided an environment where I had no choice but to let go of any hopes I had of controlling anything, and took away the ability to over-think my riding. In the hunt field there is no thinking, there is only GO. Diving headfirst into foxhunting also cemented the trust that Dino and I have in each other, and gave me a new way to enjoy my pony and appreciate his talent.



Committing to Riding Bareback all winter long did a lot of really great things for us as well. Not only did practicing without tack improve my seat and fitness, it also helped me become more confident in my own skills and allowed me to feel and understand what was going on in Dino's body when I changed how I used my own body. Bareback riding improved my level of self-awareness.

Humbling myself and Dropping Down A Level when I recognized that both my pony and I were struggling at Beginner Novice was, however, the pivotal move that helped us work back to a place where we were confident and successful. I didn't realize that eventing would be such a mental game  when I started out three years ago, and moved us up before we were ready for that challenge. In hindsight, there were plenty of signs that we were not ready for BN when I moved up, and I paid dearly in a loss of confidence in both myself and Dino. And a lot of falls. But thankfully with my coach's wisdom and my own willingness to "regress" back to smaller jumps, Dino and I are back on track and are a force to be reckoned with at every HT we attend!

Comments

  1. Oh man I feel ya on the mental game aspect. It is so so so real. I'm so happy for you and Dino tho! And I love this analysis into what factors made the difference in your success. From personal experience I can definitely attest to lessons being a change maker, but the closest I can get to fox hunting are trail rides and paper chases. We need to fix this!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roading starts this week! Cubbing season is coming!! Charlie wants to go on a field trip!

      Delete
  2. i love taking lessons. i take so many lessons. theyre so helpful - and im glad youve seen some awesome results!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great perspective and great job to you both :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Horses always seem to be about 2 steps forward followed by one step back... but that's still progress, and we all know it's a nonlinear journey! Sounds like you guys had an amazing time and have some positive momentum to build on! Go Dino!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So much excellent advice here, and once again I'll say how very happy I am for you - you've worked so hard and checking off those goals so well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stepping down is really hard to do mentally. For me anyway. It's like admitting failure in a way. But honestly, sometimes it really is key to finding your brave again. Clearly it's really paid off for you and Dino. Look at you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  7. God Nicole stop commenting so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you made a lot of smart decisions! Congrats and keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. And don't forget your commitment to bodywork with tara! That's huge and not something most stick with! You guys are awesome, I am so so so happy to see it paying off 😁😁😁

    ReplyDelete
  10. YAY ALLI! A few weeks ago you were saying how happy you were for me and I am SO ECSTATIC that I get to return the feels now. <3 Super proud of all you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SO MUCH HAPPINESS!!! <3 thank you for your support and virtual cheerleading along the way! :D

      Delete
  11. Ahh! I love this. So awesome to look back and see why things worked now so you can keep the momentum! Whee!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy for you!! Really cool to see the progress that you guys have made this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many fantastic great experiences and leading to such a great season this year! I've got to say that your winter of bareback is the most impressive (in my mind), that is tough!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love these posts. Y'all are killing it this year and it's fun to see what made all the difference for you. I hope the season continues strongly for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts