A Few Reasons Why German Riding Ponies Are Awesome

Before I started riding Dino, I had never even heard of a German Riding Pony. The name is not, actually, a catch-all title for any pony bred in Germany, but the name of an established breed with its own registry. You learn something new every day! In any case, the more I research the breed, and the more time I spend with Dino, the more the German Riding Pony (or GRP to its fans) is becoming my favorite breed. Here are a few reasons why GRP's rock:

They have the conformation, movement, and athleticism of a big Warmblood... only small.
I have nothing against Warmbloods, really. They are lovely horses with quiet minds that really excell in the english disciplines; and who doesn't love to watch a big, gorgeous Warmblood of any breed float around a hunter course or power around a dressage ring? But they tend to be... big. Like, really big. Like, a small one is 16hh.

16hh is pretty much the top of my "I feel like I fit on this horse" range.

GRP's, however, usually range from about 14.0hh to 14.3ish... which is Large Pony size and PERFECT! Fancy shmancy Warmblood looks and movement, itty bitty adorable body!

They have a pony brain.
Okay, some people might think this is NOT a reason why GRP's are awesome... but trust me, it is. Big Warmbloods, while wonderful in many ways, tend to be.... slow thinkers. Ponies, however, think ALL THE TIME, constantly, very very quickly, and will probably one day take over the world because they're all evil little furry geniuses. I love this about them. Because of the constantly spinning gears in their brains, ponies are fun and challenging to train, and immensely entertaining.

 Except when they think faster than you. Then you're in trouble. But it keeps life interesting!

They don't know they're shorter than everyone else.
Dino has no self-esteem problems. He doesn't have a short-man complex, and he doesn't wish he was as tall as the rest of the horses at the farm. This is mostly because he doesn't even know how small he is. Add a stride in a line? Pshhhh. Not necessary! He can move up to do the big kid numbers! Move those trot poles in? Are you kidding?! Move them OUT! Some days I think Dino is out to show the world that he can do anything and everything better than a big horse. And he does.

Even though they look, move, jump, and perform like a big horse, you can still get away with dressing them in bright colors because they're ponies.
I MAY POSSIBLY OWN several items of tack in baby blue, purple, and neon green. Ahem.

Don't judge, I ride a pony. I can do these things.

Comments

Popular Posts