Things I've Noticed

This is how we awkwardly pose for conformation shots.

I've been noticing some things during my rides lately.

1. Back in college I had a few lessons during which we focused on creating a bend in our horses using our outside leg, as opposed to our inside rein. At the time it completely dumbfounded me and I just didn't get it. Over the past couple weeks, however, I've been using my outside leg to create a bend in Dino almost without even realizing it, and it just occurred to me recently. After he's warmed up and is ready to start really using his body, I'll just gently shape Dino with my outside leg back and inside leg at the girth, and what do you know, IT WORKS. Without even touching my pony's mouth, I can create a bend. This is very cool.

2. I've also, thankfully, noticed a bad habit forming. When I put my inside leg on and Dino declines to move off of it, instead of reinforcing  my inside leg aid (stronger aid, stick, spur, etc.) for some insane reason I PULL MY OUTSIDE REIN. Why do I do this?! Yeah, it gets Dino to move over, but it also creates an ugly counter-bend and gets his body all out of whack and crooked. Not effective. So I started really paying attention and working on reinforcing my inside leg aids instead of going for the outside rein, and again, miracle! Dino is happy to comply once I'm clear about what I want.

I also think I'm going to have to clip homeboy AGAIN already. He's about halfway grown out to super-winter-fluff right now, and is a total sweaty mess after every ride. My plan is to go for a partial clip this time and just do a sort of strip clip/Irish clip hybrid that will take off the hair underneath his neck and on his chest. Finding the time to do it is my only problem!

Comments

  1. You already have to clip again?! That stinks! Hasn't it only been a month or so since you clipped!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, just about a month. Pony + Cushings = LOTS OF HAIR. It gets a little ridiculous in the fuzz department over here. You have no idea how jealous I am of friends with TB's that don't grow any hair!!

      Delete
  2. Fuzzy pony! Good that you're noticing that habit. It will save you grief in the future.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts