Estrone Day 1

So far, so good!

Yesterday was the first day of Dino's estrone treatment and for all intents and purposes, it's going well. He was (of course) an absolute angel for the actual injection, which involves a massive 20-guage needle and 10 cc's of solution going into him, which is a huge amount! I gave the injection before getting him ready to ride so the hormone would have a chance to start working its magic on his ligaments while I was grooming and tacking up.

Dr. Jo's instructions were to do lots of walking up hills, but unfortunately the horses were turned out in the steepest pastures, and the path that runs along side them is so overgrown at this point that I couldn't get down it. So I improvised and did a lot of marching up and down the tiny hills and bumps that cover the property, and doing approximately 6million trot poles.

Dino did really well. I felt especially in the trot that I actually had something to push into the bridle, and he had no problem keeping the canter around tighter corners. I'm going to put my spurs back on today and see if I can get him to actually work a little bit!


Comments

  1. 20 gauge!!! Wow! Is that injected into the affected joint, or is it IM?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IM, thankfully! I wouldn't trust myself to put something that huge into a joint. It's a hormone so it works systemically to relax everything.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts