Estrone, I Love You

Dino felt SO GOOD yesterday.

From the moment I hopped on at the walk he felt better; he was reaching under with his hind legs, pushing forward, and his back was UP. And after a minor tantrum during warm-up, I got a hand-gallop for the first time in weeks! I did a whole bunch of flatwork, concentrating mostly on transitions to strengthen his stifle area, and was able to get  a round, forward pony at all three gaits. I also popped him over a tiny little half-crossrail-thing and Dino was able to rock back and jump it like the pro he is, instead of frighteningly slopping over it and landing on his face on the other side.

It is so good to have my pony back!

The plan for the rest of the week will include hill work if possible, lots more flatwork, and hopefully a short jump school tomorrow or Friday if weather allows. Then Saturday we head to the Riding With Confidence clinic! I haven't been thinking too much about it since Dino started having his hind end/stifle issues, but now that he is feeling better (and just in time!) I'm starting to get excited. We're going for both days this time, and I can't wait to see what we come away with.

Lastly, I have a question for you all. Dino tends to get highly offended by spurs at times (sucking back, ears back, tail swish, angry face) but he does still need a reminder that yes, moving laterally is a thing and he is capable, or that lifting his belly and actually using himself is non-negotiable, or that leg means go and you get poked in the belly if you don't listen. I'm using tiny little Tom Thumb spurs on him now, but I'm starting to feel like they're too sharp and "jabby" for him, and he might respect and appreciate something with a softer feel. Does anyone have experience with the Spursuaders? They are SO pricy, but I really like the idea behind them. Or what about roller ball spurs for a horse that is easily offended? Once he gets over himself and goes into "work mode" he will accept the spurs just fine, but before we get to that point he's a little over-reactive. Suggestions?

Comments

  1. No experience with those but I have the stubben soft touch spurs and love them. My horse get rubs super easily and they prevent that and seem to be overall really effective without being to "hard". Not terribly expensive either.

    Glad Dino is feeling better!
    http://m.horse.com/item/stubben-dynamic-soft-touch-spurs/E002739%2015M/?srccode=GPHORSE&gclid=CPr_0aXXm7oCFZBDMgodmXMATQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Nicole, who rides one of Connor's full brothers, has the spursaders (http://equinpilot.blogspot.com). You might ask her.

    Connor is super reactive to both spurs and whip, but he's so much better with them than without, so after a period of not using either and capitulating to his reactiveness, I'm wearing them again. The Dressage clinician I ride with semi-regularly has me soften him on the inside rein the moment I use the whip, not before and not after, and that helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting! What hand do you hold the whip in, and do you take your whip hand off the reins to use it, or keep ahold of them? I'm curious to try it since it works for your pony, and they just have different brains than full size horses. Sometimes you just need to change the subject with a pony instead of forcing your way through.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts