Bachelors #5, 6, 7, 8, and 9


"ARE WE DONE YET?!" - Dino, probably 
Well, that escalated quickly.

The saddle search has turned into a quest of epic proportions, and all told I've tried 9 different saddles so far, with varying responses to each. Some were a flat out "Heck No" from the moment my butt hit the seat, others were a, "Maybe, If..." and a couple prompted a, "This Could Be The One!" Thankfully we're nearing the end of this story, but walk with me first through everything I've tried up until now.

So lovely. So unattainable!
Saddle #5 was a complete and total tease. A friend of a very similar height and body type graciously lent me her Veritas to try, just to give me the opportunity to sit in something different and see what features of that saddle I liked and disliked. More information gathering. I knew that brand of saddle is going for around $4,000 used right now, so I tried it with the full knowledge that it was completely out of my budget. Besides, I might not even like it.

HAHA IT WAS PERFECT WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF??
Except I did like it and it was magical. It made sitting SO easy, the blocks were absolutely perfect for the shape of my leg, and I could really feel what a properly-fitted block is supposed to do. It was there if I needed to push into it for stability, but if I didn't need it, it stayed out of the way. It was lovely and perfectly balanced and really, really good for the shape of my body and the way I ride. The Veritas made me feel a lot of feelings and briefly consider totally blowing my budget, but at the end of the day I put it in the "No" pile, knowing that I just couldn't spend that much money. I remained committed to my fitter's plan!

Promising...
#6 was a Frank Baines Union Lux. This saddle fit Dino quite well, but the blocks were so comically inappropriate for my leg that I only lasted about 5 minutes in this saddle before calling it quits. No matter what I did with my stirrups, my knee hit the middle of the block. It was wildly uncomfortable, and overall way too straight of a flap/block for my leg.

LOLZ NO. 
Almost didn't even try this bad boy!
#7 I almost didn't even try, as when I put it on Dino it bridged pretty badly. A saddle custom-made for a retailer on the Elegance tree with a shorter flap and adjustable blocks, I had high hopes for this one until I sat it on my pony's back. It bridged and the rear panels were stuffed too thickly, and I wasn't happy at all with the fit. Thankfully my fitter encouraged me to shim up the middle and front and try it anyway, and I'm really glad I did! This was the first saddle I didn't want to give back after my trial ride. I LOVED it, and Dino did, too! Even with my shoddy shim job, he went beautifully in it. I loved the balance of it, even though it wasn't perfect, and the shape of the flap and block were ideal for my leg. The depth of the seat was just right, and after one ride it felt like home. I really felt like I was on to something!

It was love at first sit! 
So on my next parking lot rendezvous with my fitter, she adjusted the flocking in #7 to fit Dino better and gave me two more to try - a Pirouette and a Reflex.

Fancy, but the flocking up front here is absurd.
#8 was the Pirouette. This one was clearly not flocked well for Dino, but fit okay enough to take for a spin. Neither of us really liked this model. It put me in a bit of a chair seat and turned my leg out, and Dino just didn't seem to be 100% comfortable. After a quick ride the Pirouette was definitely a "No".

This is not really working for me.
Maybe?
#9 was the Reflex in an 18" seat. While it was definitely better than the Pirouette, I still didn't like it as well as the Elegance that had risen to the top of the charts. I could ride in it, and Dino went better in it than he had in other saddles, but the 18" was too long for his back and I just didn't feel like it had a nice, comfortable pocket for me to sit in. The Reflex was, in the end, rejected.

Better, but not great. 
I also rode in the re-flocked #7 on the Elegance tree, and loved it even more after it had been adjusted! It was so comfortable, so balanced, my leg looks AMAZING in it, and Dino gave it is stamp of approval. After not having touched the collection for weeks, he threw down some lovely collected trot work in this saddle, and he felt wonderful over his back. He loves it, I love it, and for all intents and purposes, we have a winner! The next step will be a (hopefully!) in-person, masked-sanitized-and-socially-distant fitting appointment to make the final determinations before I decide on what to buy.

HELLO BEAUTIFUL! 
I am SO excited to have gotten so close to getting our perfect dressage saddle! For those who may be interested, as soon as I have something in the works to purchase I will be listing my 17" Prestige dressage saddle for sale. Feel free to reach out if you're shopping!

Old Faithful will be looking for a new home soon! 

Comments

  1. Yay to finding something you love! You look AMAZING in it. We need video ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. reading these posts reminds me of the tricky balance saddle shopping for isabel - needing a saddle to accommodate my own geometry while also not being too long for her back. it's hard, yo! but your favorite saddle #7 definitely looks like the best match for your angles of the whole bunch (obvi single photos only show a limited perspective but i think it looks like a better fit than even the first one!). very exciting to have been so comfortable in it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sitting in the veritas reminded me of those say yes to the dress episodes where the girl's budget is $1500 FIRM and then she puts on a $10k dress and is like oooo its amazinggg i love it :P

    at least you were able to talk yourself out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for hopefully finding the one! It's funny, as I've been very lucky that my favorite saddle has worked well on most of my horses, I didn't realize how poorly a saddle really could fit a horse until I got Shiny. I couldn't ride her the first week I had her because none of my saddles came remotely close to being good enough. Ponies are tough! I somehow stumbled across a nearly perfect saddle on ebay that same week for her, but I swear it was a miracle.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts