Well, That Didn't Go As Planned.

Since Dino and I have been doing AWESOME with our jumping since we had our lesson, I decided it would be a good idea to go to a show over the weekend. My local association had just added a 2'6 jumper division for this year, and I thought it would be a great test of how well we're working together.

Positives: While he started out tense and strong in the warm-up, Dino eventually relaxed and focused and we had a GREAT schooling ride. He stopped at the first jump I pointed him at, but jumped it no problemo after I gave him a little tap and pointed him at it again. He even jumped a big, airy square oxer in the dark black hole of an indoor. He jumped it like it was about 4' high, but he jumped it bravely! He was relaxed and forward, and our canter transitions were beautiful and prompt. We also looked awesome, thanks to my amazing show grooming skillz and impeccable fashion sense.

Negatives: When I called to check to see what time the jumper divisions were expected to run, I was told (or maybe misinterpreted?) that there were 2 hack classes left to go and then the jumpers would start schooling. So Michael, Rachel and I rushed to the barn, loaded up my pony, and headed over to the show. The jumpers didn't end up going until about 4 hours later. We did a lot of waiting around. Other major negatives included only actually jumping one fence in each of our first two classes, scratching the third, getting eliminated from the first, and excusing myself from the second.

After having a good cry and a beer, this is what we all agree went wrong: Dino and I sat around waiting to go for waaaay too long, I was nervous and tense, and the whole thing just erupted into a shit-show once we hit the show ring. I should have gone and schooled him over a couple fences while the rider before me was going, and then headed right into the ring with a primed and ready pony instead of one who was feeding off my nervous energy and uncertain about what exactly was going on.

Moving forward, we decided that the next show would be different. I'm going to drop down and enter the 2' division and try to have Elissa there for support and pony butt-kicking if needed. I want to have a POSITIVE experience at a show! I've also signed up for a sports psychology clinic in a few weeks, which I'm really excited about! I'll get a chance to ride in an environment that will bring out my nerves, and the clinician, Dr. Jenny Susser, will help me work through them and learn techniques to keep my nervousness from ruining my shows. Dr. Susser has worked with Olympic-level athletes from all kinds of sports, and tons of riders from ammies like me to FEI competitors. I really think that my major problems are mental (haha) seeing as how I've been riding GREAT at home and in lessons where I'm in a non-stressful environment, but once we get to a show everything falls apart. I'm really looking forward to the clinic and getting past this stupid mental block and getting on to winning some ribbons!

Comments

  1. Hunter/jumper scheduling is the worst for shows. Seriously, the worst. I'm sorry it got the better of you that day but next time will be better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the same issue the first time I took my horse to a show! We didn't show until 9:00PM, she'd be on the trailer for 12+ hours, and was a absolutely crazy when we finally got in the ring. As SheMovedtoTexas said, hunter/jumper scheduling is the worst, and a lot of horses just can't handle waiting on the trailer all day while the human officials get their act together!

    Have you tried going to a show where you can rent stalls? It's more expensive, but Dino might be more patient if he can relax in a stall. Maybe he'd even take nap or something!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some days it makes me seriously consider switching to dressage just to have a ride time!! Hopefully we'll figure out how to manage this nonsense at the next show. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts