Clicker = Pony Ritalin

First of all, everyone here at PONY'TUDE sends belated Christmas and New Year's greetings to all our readers! I know 2011 has been tough for a lot of people, and here's hoping 2012 will bring health and happiness to all!


Secondly, I don't want to sound like some kind of devotee of The Clicker Is The Only Way, but clicker training Dino has been pretty amazing so far. In addition to having a great new method to teach him with, it's also proving to have quite a few fringe benefits.


One of the skills I am using clicker training to refine is backing up. For Dino, backing up is an ordeal, whether on the ground or under saddle. It generally involves a lot of repeating myself and pulling on the chain shank and/or reins, and poking him in the chest with things, and poking him in the belly with things, and overall frustration for both of us, after which I get maybe one or two steps of very tense, resistant rein-back. It ain't pretty.

We've done only a few clicker- training sessions during which we worked on backing up, and already the improvement is amazing. Instead of wrestling with Dino to get him to take a single step backwards, he's stepping back politely without any pressure on the lead shank as soon as I walk towards him. And doing it EAGERLY! I almost can't believe a pony with such a stubborn streak has become so willing and cooperative about doing something that was previously a huge chore, and all because he's now motivated by the food reward he gets for giving me the right answer. I love seeing his little face light up when he hears the clicker!

And as far as fringe benefits, clicker training has started to change Dino's whole attitude. His motto in life was previously, "Make Me." He's the typical hard-headed pony that tests every single rider and handler to see how much they'll let him get away with. Dino will only work for you if he's absolutely sure he can't convince you to let him off easy. But now that I've been working with him using the clicker, he's become less grumpy on the crossties, more focused on me, and the pony that used to have to be drug up from turnout now marches eagerly up to the barn to work. The clicker will definitely become a well-used tool in our toolbox!


I hope to be able to share some video of his new skills soon! Backing up isn't the only thing we've been working on...

Comments

  1. Clicker training changes the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad to hear that you are having success with the clicker training! I just started with Shy and she loves it! She is easily bored, but the clicker training really keeps her attention. Could be that she is a Halfinger and this involves food. . .but whatever works!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts