December 10

Eternal thanks to L. - Content Creator Extraordinaire! I am way too wiped out from Christmas festivities to come up with any kind of actual, coherent post.



1. Does your horse need shoes?
When Dino came to me, he was barefoot, which I was totally on board with until he went absolutely dead lame once the ground froze. He's been in front shoes ever since, and sound as a bell as far as his feet go.

2. What do you think of the barefoot vs. shoes debate?
I think it's a needless debate. Some horses can go barefoot, some need shoes, and that need is dependent on so many factors and may change throughout the horse's life. It's our responsibility to cater to the horses' individual requirements and do whatever is necessary - whether that means keeping them shod or barefoot - to keep them healthy and comfortable.

3. Favorite season for riding?
I love riding in the summer! Slick, shiny ponies, baths after riding, shows, trail rides, and no need for large quantities of outerwear. I'd rather sweat in the sun than be cold and clammy, or not be able to feel my toes.

Fun things happen in summer!
4. How many shows do you think you've gone to?
Uh. A lot. A whole lot. You'd think I'd be better at it by now considering how many I've gone to.

Show Pony!
5. Do you consider yourself a good rider?
I consider myself generally competent, but I don't know about "good". I try real hard.

6. How experienced do you think someone needs to be to own a horse?
There's a big difference between owning a horse (If you've got money, YOU can be a horse owner!) and caring for one. Caring for horses on one's own takes years of experience and the ability to recognize and deal with a vast multitude of emergency situations, knowledge of nutrition and pasture management, shoeing, training, blanket and tack fit, basic vet care, and everything else under the sun. To do it on your own, you need to know a lot. To do it with lots of help and support from knowledgeable mentors and professionals? Anyone who is willing to learn and take instruction can own a horse and care for it well with the right kind of help!

7. Have you ever gotten into a fight with your trainer?
Nope.



8. Describe your dream horse. 
Dino, only a dozen years younger and without all of the mental and emotional baggage! But seriously, my dream horse is a talented sport pony with a great brain that I can clean up with in the show ring, gallop in the hunt field, and then trail ride bareback in between training sessions.

9. Does anyone in your family ride?
I'm the only weirdo!

10. If you could ride any horse in the world, which one would it be? Why? 
I would love to have ridden Theodore O'Connor when he was alive. When I feel down about struggling in eventing, I watch videos of him blasting around massive CCI courses, and he restores my faith in Pony Power! To ride such a small pony with so much power would be incredible.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts