Spa Day For Everyone!

Well. This past weekend was absolutely GORGEOUS (low 50's and sunny!) but I still didn't ride.

The snow is just SO deep and layered weirdly that every time my pony puts a foot in it, it collapses under his weight and he's just very uncomfortable about the state of the footing. He's the KING of footing-pickiness, so I've been settling for doing some groundwork in the parking lot, which is FINALLY thawed out and no longer a skating rink. Hopefully this week will find me back in the saddle even though it's going to get cold again, as there's been a lot of melting & compacting going on.

In the meantime, Dino has been groomed within an inch of his life on a daily basis. I don't think there's ever been a winter when he's been so clean! Brushed, clipped, and shined to the max. The only thing I haven't done is pull his mane, since I like to do that after he's worked, and we haven't exactly been working.



"Work" has been some basic NH-style groundwork and clicker training. Simple things like halting, backing, lunging at the walk, listening to body language, yielding the hindquarters, etc. I'm really looking for that moment of submission and relaxation when Dino's ears are on me and his eye softens, he licks and chews, and his body relaxes. He actually kicked/bucked out at me when I sent him out to lunge a couple times, so I corrected him and sent him out again, and suddenly I had softness and compliance. So nice! I love when I can put his little rebellions to rest so quickly and have a willing partner again.

My adopted horse-child, Bob, also got a spa day this weekend. His owner is neglectful to put it mildly, so I like to give him some lovin' when I have the time. He's a total sweetie!



And Toby got a spa day!

MMMMM lead paint.

Rachel's dad recently had a heart transplant, so she has pretty much been living at the hospital and hasn't been able to ride or spend time with Toby. So since I can't wave a magic wand and make her dad all better, I pampered her boy instead.

In that vein, we'll be participating in the Gift of Life Donor Dash to raise awareness for organ donation! If you'd like to donate to our team, or participate yourself if you're in the area, check out the team webpage: TEAM JAZZY JEFF And REGISTER AS AN ORGAN DONOR. You could save 50 lives with your generous gift. Seriously, if you aren't using your guts, give them to someone else.



Comments

Popular Posts