Goals Conquered, New Horizons Ahead
|The best old man.|
So, what did I hope to accomplish in 2019, how did I do? Let's have a look...
- Keep Dino fit, sound, happy, and healthy. As always, this is my #1 priority for the old man. CHECK! The old man is lookin' FINE as we head into what will be his 22nd year!
- Show at 1st Level at least 3 times. SUPER CHECK! We showed five times at First Level this past year, including qualifying for and competing in the Championship show for our local GMO, and ending the season with a big 3rd place ribbon!
- Continue to finesse bareback and bridleless work. Nailed it! I rode tackless a lot over the winter, and added cantering, trot-halt, and rein-back to our repertoire. It still continues to be one of Dino's and my favorite things to do.
- Trail ride and hunter pace as much as we can. While I didn't get out quite as much as I would have liked, we DID trail ride with friends a few times and competed in two hunter paces this year. I'd call that a win!
- Incorporate jumping or poles into our rides on a weekly basis. This was the only thing I feel like I really didn't do. While I did jump Dino occasionally, it definitely was not on a weekly basis! Perhaps in 2020 I'll do a bit better with this one.
- Continue taking lessons and attending educational events and clinics as I can afford the time and money. CHECK! We took a few lessons with our regular trainer this year and started riding with Ashley monthly in August.
- Go on some "no pressure" cross country schooling outings. We did this twice in 2019, and both times were SO MUCH FUN.
|2020 Goals: Eat more treats.|
2020 is a new year, and while some of the goalposts have moved, a lot of my goals for us this year remain the same:
- Keep Dino fit, sound, happy, and healthy. No need to explain, Dino's health and happiness is my top priority.
- Show 2-1 once without completely embarrassing ourselves. Scoring 60% would be the highlight of my life. As stated in a previous post, 2020 is the year I'm shooting for 2nd Level. It still seems mostly insane, and a lot of days I don't feel like I'm sitting on a 2nd Level horse yet, but when your pony is coming 22 and still kicking, you've got a great trainer in your corner and nothing to lose, you just GO FOR IT!
- Continue lessons with Ashley as often as possible. She has transformed Dino and I beyond belief in just a few months, and I'm eager to keep learning and growing under her instruction.
- Do more things that Dino thinks are fun, making time at least once a week for a "fun day." It's easy for me to fall into the routine of working hard at dressage every day - I love the work, I love the quest for perfection, and I could easily over-do it to Dino's detriment. In 2020, I want to make lots of time for trail riding, jumping, and tackless riding!