Space Jellyfish Review Redux: Not For Use By Evil Geniuses


Let me begin by saying I still think the ThinLine muzzle is a great product. It's innovative, well-designed, and effective.

The designers just didn't have evil genius ponies in mind when they created it.

That said, I cannot begin to count the number of texts I have gotten from my barn manager since I started using the SpaceJellyfish TM that read somewhere along the lines of, "The jellyfish is free, " "RIP jellyfish," "I don't understand how he did this," or just a sad face emoji. Dino figured out rather quickly that he is able to step on the muzzle and pull, thereby breaking each and every zip tie (and occasionally an arm of the jellyfish or an entire halter) to free himself from restricted grazing. Zip ties are not expensive, but this situation is far from ideal.

So, we've switched back indefinitely to the Tough-1 muzzles, which seem to be a little more genius-proof, even if they're bulkier, heavier, and cause rubs.

I do still recommend the ThinLine muzzle. Just not if your horse is brilliantly diabolical.


Comments

  1. Is he stepping on the long flaps? They do suggest trimming the excess plastic off once you have the fit they way you want it. I didn't do that because I may want to use it again on a different horse (and also Cinna is not NEARLY as diabolical as Dino thankfully haha). I wonder if that would help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah even after I cut the long flaps off he still did it! Damn evil genius pony.

      Delete
    2. Well dang dino! Naughty pony 😣

      Delete
  2. Ahahahaha. Dino, you're the most innovative evil genius ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ugh thanks for as this was on the list for Fat Buckskin. Fat Buckskin may be 15 hands and not a pony BUT he has a pony brain for sure! :) OH Dino!! You genius :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This seems accurate to me. There's a kindly draft/TB mare at my barn that has one and she hasn't gotten it off once to my knowledge. But I've been hesitant to try it with Connor because I think he'd be like Dino with it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dino will not be contained! I am admiring his genius while I appreciate your frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those stinker ponies!

    I've had excellent experience with the green guard muzzle. I purchased one at Rolex for Emi, a few years back, and it was amazing. Since then, my mini donkey, Liam, wears one most of the time.

    Actually, if Dino would wear a horse size, I'd be willing to sell you Emi's used green guard muzzle. Feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss that - alannamcp@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. omg so naughty tho! i wonder if trimming it so it allowed a little more grass through would help him be less frustrated and therefore less likely to take it off?

    ReplyDelete
  8. RIP Jellyfish! Bridget killed hers within a day too. I've given up and put her in a dry lot because even the big tough ones get destroyed within 24 hrs. Cheeky pony has figured out how to hook it on things (hay nets, gate latches, tops of fence posts, her hoof) and then pull back to break it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PONIES!!! (I feel that I exclaim that in exasperation several times a week...)

      Delete
  9. Wow Dino. He really is ALLLL pony isn't he?!
    Though I do very much appreciate the barn manager's texts... lol!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts