Where Are We Going?



2014 was a wonderful year for Dino and I. We conquered a lot of demons, made huge improvements in our partnership, and discovered our mutual excitement for the sport of eventing. It was a big year!

But 2014 is gone and 2015 is here. Where are we headed now?

We're moving forward in eventingland, that's for sure. My big, fat goal for this year is to run Beginner Novice. 

I feel a little weird about this goal.

It's exciting and challenging, for sure. For us, for me, right now, completing a full XC course at 2'7" is a big freakin' deal. To do that with confidence will be an absolutely massive achievement for me.

But on the other hand, I can't help thinking about everything I've done in the past that was bigger, or more competitive, or more technical. I competed successfully in the Level 0 jumpers for a season at rated shows. I've ridden First Level dressage tests, and schooled some Third Level movements. I've jumped my pony 3'6" without issue. I've taught countless lessons. I've trained green horses. The base of knowledge and experience I have is pretty darn good, I have to say.

And yet here I am, getting ready to "move up" to BN.

It's a weird place to be.

But it's the place we're at regardless, and I'm absolutely excited to push forward, work hard, and hit the horse trials with guns blazing this year!

In 2015 I also want to be a better human being. More selfless, more prayerful, more giving, more kind. To think more often about how I can give, love, and help instead of how little I can get away with doing for others. If everyone was a little less selfish, how much more beautiful would the world be?!

And at the beginning of a shiny new year, I also want to take the time to say Thanks to all of you who read this blog in my little corner of the interwebs. Every one of you has been supportive, encouraging, and truly invested in Dino and I. This blog has helped me become part of a unique community of riders, and I am so, so blessed by all of you!

Here's to 2015. Let's Git 'Er Done!

Comments

  1. I love your goals- "If everyone was a little less selfish, how much more beautiful would the world be?!" is so true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am ready to "move up" to BN and it feels very funny (though I haven't done as much as you, I have done BN on another horse before) to think of "moving up" to the first rated level! To successful BN runs for both of us this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eventing is a whole different world from all those other things. Moving up to BN is totally a big deal, and an awesome goal to look forward to. And if you find it's actually pretty boring for you, there's nowhere to go but up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy 2015!! i love your goals - and definitely agree that despite your foundation, running xc over those big solid obstacles is kinda a big deal! good luck!!! i've got my fingers crossed that 2015 will be the year that we move up too... but don't feel well enough about that to make it an official goal lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll get there too! And with your fantastic awareness of both yourself and Isabel, it will be when both of you are ready. :)

      Delete
  5. Excellent goals! I'll be inspired by your BN achievements:) ( and I love that halter! )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's his Christmas halter... it only comes out once a year!

      Delete
  6. You got that goal for sure. Ask me how I know. ;-) I wasn't sure we'd survive our first BN course, and you have way more tools and experience than I do! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh thank you! I think the mental game is the most difficult part of getting successfully to BN!

      Delete
  7. I felt a little silly putting "learn baby lateral movements" on my list this year ... But regardless of how small of a goal to might seem to others, the point is about improving myself and my horse and learning and there's absolutely no shame in that!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Think of them as goals for "this partnership" rather than personal achievement goals. Because that's what it is. Sure, you've achieved the things BN requires at other times, but this time you'll be putting those skills together with this horse in this sport. So, go for it! It's all new! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are SO right Austen. Thank you for this. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts