30 Questions

Snagged from L. Williams at Viva Carlos

1. If your horse could talk what would they say? What would they be like?
Dino is such a complex being! He has so many moods and facets. Sometimes he'd be very chatty and hyper, other times just quiet and introspective and wanting to be left alone. He would definitely tell me when I'm doing something wrong! 

2. If you were a horse, what would you look like (color, markings, etc), what discipline would you do, and what would you be like to ride?
I would be a little TB mare, chestnut for sure. Sassy and stubborn, but all business when I step in the ring. I think I would probably be a dressage horse. 

3. How many barns have you ridden at?
The count is up to 6 at the moment. 

4. What kind of bay do you prefer? (bright bay, blood bay, etc)
A dark, super-dappley bay.

5. Can you braid a horses mane? Tail?
I can do manes like nobody's business. I know how to do tails, but they are not my strong point. I should practice. 



6. Do you believe that you have to fall off in order to be a good rider?
Yes. Because if you never fall off, that means nothing has ever gone wrong, and you can't learn to be effective in different situations if you are never exposed to anything less than perfect. I think falling off can also help dispel a fear of falling off. Once you've fallen and survived, it's not a big deal anymore. 

7. What do you think is more important: eq or effective riding?
GOOD equitation IS effective. But, there is a difference between posing on a horse to achieve a certain look, and developing beautiful, effective equitation. Obviously I place a priority on effective riding, even if it has to be temporarily ugly. Good riding always becomes beautiful. 

8. Are there any "horse couples" at your barn?
Yep, Michael and I. 



9. Favorite treat to feed your horse?
Roasted peanuts in the shell.

10. Silly quirks your horse has.
Dino usually pees right outside the arena gate every day before we go to work. 

11. Strangest thing you've fed your horse.
I think this has to be a tie between sour gummy worms and a pickle. He loved the worms. He spit out the pickle. 

12. Have you ever made any horse friends through the internet?
Yes! It's so fun. 

13. Would you buy horse furniture?
Only if it was classy and not OMGPONIES11!1!!!!11!! tacky.

14: Funniest horsey moment
In my group lesson at Briarwood one night, we were working on a course that involved a fence made of probably about 8 hay bales stacked together. All of the horses were a little looky about it, but when my friend Erin cantered up to it on her naughty-beyond-belief horse, SoCo, he stopped. SoCo then reared up, flailed his front legs, and knocked down the entire jump with his front feet, as if to say, "THAT'S WHAT I THINK OF YOUR STUPID HAY BALE JUMP." We all almost fell off laughing! 

15. Post a picture of your horse (or any horse) making a silly face that you got on camera!



16. What's a moment with horses that you wished you caught on camera?
The SoCo hay bale jump fiasco, definitely. 

17. How old was the youngest horse you've met?
Countless Standardbred babies when they were just a few minutes old. 

18. How old was the oldest horse you've met?
A horse, Buddy, that I used to take care of when I farm-sat one place was around 34-35ish. 

19. Opinion on colorful tack? (like red or blue)
Only OK if you are an endurance rider or barrel racer. Otherwise, please use normal colored leather. Thanks. All bets are off when it comes to boots, wraps, and saddle pads though. 

20. Have you ever tried horse treats? Hay?
Yes. And Rachel and I also once tasted Perfect Prep paste. Don't try it. It tastes like rubber bands. 

21. Have you ever felt like giving up on a horse?
No, but I also know my limits as a trainer and try not to take on more than I can handle. 

22. Tell the story about the horse that you first felt "click" immediately with you (and if you can't remember, most recent)
My first horse, Jessie. She was a 5 year old QH mare, beautiful cream colored palomino, about 15.1 and round as a barrel. I was 16, and thought I knew a heck of a lot more than I did. Jessie was bought from a dealer and came to the barn I was riding at to be a lesson horse, and she was BAD. Bucked, bolted, the whole nine yards. But when I sat on her for the first time I fell in love, and soon I was the only kid at the barn riding her. The barn owner then offered her to me as a free lease in exchange for teaching beginner lessons, and I was so happy I cried. I worked with her until I graduated high school and left for college, and we experienced our first off-property shows together, many trail rides, and she let me make LOTS of mistakes. By the time I left Jessie, I could count on her to pack 6 year old kids around in lead line lessons. She'll always be my first. 

Check that baggy hunt coat and safety stirrups! Fashion Queens.


23. Ever ridden side-saddle? How was it?
YES and it was AMAZING! I want to do it again someday.

24. Most interesting place you've ridden at.
With my friend Paula through the mountains of New Hampshire one summer. We were somehow allowed to take 2 summer camp horses and run wild through the woods for a week. Paula did it all bareback on a 13h pony mare because the mare had a girth sore. I rode a fantastic Morgan gelding who was game for anything! It was one of the most fun times of my life. 

25. What kind of horse do you like? (sport, stock, endurance, etc)
Sport horses/ponies.

26. Do you feel like you have more patience with horses than people?
Without a doubt. 

27. Is the horse you ride very vocal?
Dino is very vocal when he wants something, like food, or to go out with his buddies. Sometimes he will nicker to me when I come to get him, which is pretty awesome. 

28. Ever ridden in the sunset?
Yes.

29. How do you like a horse's mane? (roached, pulled, long, etc)
Pulled short.

30. What is your dream name for a horse?
You know, I don't think I have one. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts