I'm Surrounded

Putting On My Big Girl Pants

These Eventing people.

I can't get away from them.

Rachel, who has a burning passion for the sport of eventing, has been trying to get me to go cross-country schooling with her for the past year or so.

Which sounds so fun!

Except that I'm a total weenie when it comes to cross country, and the thought of galloping up and down hills while jumping solid fences, ditches, and down-banks terrifies me and makes me want to pee my pants.

But over the weekend I hopped on Toby at Rachel's insistence, and popped him over a couple of small logs. And I have to admit, it was fun! Toby's big, open, thoroughbred step took a bit of getting used to, but he is honest as the day is long and took me safely up the hill and over the logs.

Just this afternoon I met the very nice new boarder at the barn, who told me that she too, is an eventer, and is looking for a cross-country schooling buddy. I confessed that I am a huge weenie, but she wasn't falling for that excuse and told me I'd be coming along to the horse park with her when she went schooling.

I'm surrounded. Help.

Comments

  1. Totally understand the nerves related to XC. I am currently learning the ropes of eventing and it is scary but also a blast! Take it small! Most places I've been to have baby jumps, baby drops, and baby ditches :). Can't wait to read about your school! Even if you don't jump much going schooling is the most fun of all IMO! Riding around being BA with friends? What's not to like :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement!! I'll need it, hah!

      Delete
  2. Ruh roh! Watch out for horse eating logs :) Or as I like to say... people eating logs. I'm sure my horse would survive but I doubt I will!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a wise friend once told me, logs make more sense to horses than striped poles set between standards! Now if I could only convince myself of the same thing...

      Delete
  3. I'm not a weenie, but I have like no desire to do any XC schooling with my current horse. With Carlos I really wanted to go hope around a BN or something, but Ramone, no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya! And with all of the "normal" jumps I've crashed into over the past year, I have no desire to crash into a solid one!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts