Getting Our Groove Back

I think I'm finally starting to get my groove back when it comes to jumping.

Last night I started my ride determined to jump everything in the ring at least once, which included my grid that another rider had lowered, a 2'3 plank fence, and the brick wall jump, which is honestly probably about only 2'3 itself but it LOOKS DIFFERENT and it isn't a plain pole or plank so it freaked me out a bit.

It was dark, and I was by myself, which would usually be enough to make me a little nervous about jumping anything, but I stuck with the plan.

I started out doing lots and lots and LOTS of two-point and standing in the stirrups at the walk and trot while I let Dino loosen up. It was extremely helpful in tightening up my leg, balancing my position, and making me feel secure. It's such a simple exercise, but WOW does it help boost confidence when I feel like I am completely balanced and in control of my body.

Turning my attention to Dino, I asked him to do some simple transitions within the walk, halt, and trot. He did wonderfully at first and was very compliant until I upped the ante and asked him to transition down from trot to walk, and then back up to trot moving away from the gate towards a corner of the ring where he ALWAYS slows down. Dino said, "No." (pretty sure "no" is his favorite word.) So we discussed how after he has been walking and trotting around for about 15 or 20 minutes, "No" is not an acceptable answer to that question. We got over that hump, and then I asked him to canter, and he said "No" again. But instead of starting a fight and really getting after him with my spurs and crop and walloping him with my leg, I just took it down a notch and asked for some halt/trot transitions to get him focused and in front of the leg. After that little tune-up he stepped happily into the canter, and I hand-galloped him around several times in each direction, practicing lead changes both ways. I'm beginning to think moving backwards in our warmups is going to help us move forwards in the end.

But that canter was the turning point of my ride. Once Dino was motoring happily along in front of my leg, I used that time to experiment with my own body position and see what the cause-and-effect was. Slight lift of the hand, small close of the leg, and he balanced back and stepped up a gear. Lower the hand and soften the leg, Dino dropped down to a lope. He turned on a dime without my ever having to touch the reins because I used my body to tell him where to go. Funny how correct riding just works, isn't it?

After that tremendously confidence-building canter, I revved the engines and trotted into the grid, which Dino pretty much attacked. He landed with great balance and impulsion, so on a whim I pointed him at the small plank. I could tell the sudden change of course confused him a little, and I felt him wiggle and ask me if the plank was where we were going next, and I just straightened him out, squeezed, and we jumped the fence. The HUGE thing about that tiny little jump was that even when my pony was questioning my plan, I didn't immediately think, "HE'S GOING TO STOP." I just kept riding, no second-guessing.

The time had come to tackle the brick wall, so I came out of the turn with a nice, balanced, forward canter and aimed Dino right at the center of the wall, counted five strides, and jumped from the perfect spot.

And that brick wall, contrary to my over-active imagination, was really, really tiny. I hardly even felt my pony make an effort. As we cantered away I thought, "Wow. That was... really easy." So I did it again, and this time even though we came in at a bit of an awkward distance, I just sat up, and rode, and made it work, and it just turned out to be a little short, not a super ugly chip.

It feels so good to be getting back to my old self! 


Comments

Popular Posts